Joshua 7:1 “But the Israelites acted unfaithfully in regard to the devoted things.”
- Consecrated, set apart, holy to the Lord
- Irrevocably given, devoted to destruction
- Leviticus 27:30 “A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.”
- Giving Activates the Blessing of God
4 Blessings of Giving
1. The Test of TITHE – Connects us to God’s Blessing!
- Malachi 3:10 “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”
- Tithe is devoted – return the 1/10th to God
- God has a blessing in mind! (Jeremiah 21:11 NIV)
- Malachi 3:8 “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and ”
- Rob (Heb): qaba – to cover, like a goblet, to put your hand on top to keep it from pouring out, to obstruct or obscure God, hindering Him (from pouring out a blessing).
- God wants to neutralize the curse and pour out a blessing!
2. The Priority of FIRST FRUITS – Proves good stewardship of God’s money.
- Proverbs 3:9 “Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; (10) Then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.”
- Romans 11:16 (ERV) “If the first piece of bread is offered to the Lord, then the whole loaf is made holy.”
- Giving to God 1st is a Kingdom principle (Matt. 6:33)
3. The Compassion of giving ALMS – Shows evidence of the heart of God in us.
- Matthew 6:3 “But when you do alms, let not thy left hand know what your right hand doeth: (4) That your alms may be in secret: and your Father which sees in secret himself shall reward you openly.”
- Proverbs 19:17 “He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, and He will pay back what he has given.”
- Giving secretly protects people’s dignity
4. The Faith of sowing SEED – Is an exercise of our Faith & Trust in God.
- Luke 6:38 “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
- Matthew 13:8 “Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop – a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
- II Cor. 9:6 (NIV) “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. (7) Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (8) And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all time, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (10) Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of see and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. (11) You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion…”