Are You Teachable?
- Teach-able – capable of being taught… willing to learn… Not a “know it all”
- Matthew 18:3 (NIV) “I tell you the truth, unless you change [be converted] and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”
- Are you a PROFESSOR or POSSESSOR?
- Numbers 33:53 “Take possession of the land and settle in it, for I have given you the land to possess.”
- Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”
- (Message Bible) “We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but GOD’s purpose prevails.”
John 9 – Seven Principles on Being Teachable
- Story of contrast between religious elite and teachable seeker.
- John 9:3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, said Jesus, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”
Don’t major on the minors
- The work of God is MAJOR, our concerns are MINOR
- Not who to blame or why it happened – Instead, look for God’s purpose!
- “Before worrying about the SPECK in your brother’s eye, get the PLANK out of your own!” – 7:5
- “You’re gagging on a GNAT and swallowing a CAMEL!” – 23:24
Trust God’s Teaching Techniques
- Mud in the eyes is hard to understand
- God gave an Instruction – “Go” (Looking for obedience)
- Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.”
True Change can be seen by OTHERS
- A change of HEART must also bring a change of CONDUCT
- Matthew 7:20 “Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”
Debate over methods & motives always divides
- II Timothy 2:23 (NIV) “Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels, (24) and the Lords servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone…”
- James 3:18 “And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.”
Base what YOU KNOW on the Power of God (and your EXPERIENCE with it!)
- John 9:25 [I don’t know about your doctrinal concerns] but “One thing I know, I was blind and now I see!”
- I Corinthians 2:5 “That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.”
- YOUR faith is your ARMOR!
Look for a NEW THING
- God is creative, doesn’t have to FIX IT, He can REPLACE IT!
- Isaiah 43:19 “I will do a NEW THING”
Faith to BELIEVE comes when your spiritual eyes and ears are open
- John 9:36 “Tell me so that I may believe on Him!”