Are You Teachable? Teach-able – capable of being taught… willing to learn… Not a “know it all”
- Matthew 18:3 “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”
- James 4:6 “God resists the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.”
- Are you a PROFESSOR or POSSESSOR?
- Matthew 15:8 “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”
John 9 – Seven Principles on Being Teachable – Story of contrast between religious elite and teachable seeker.
Don’t major on the minors – Who to blame, why it happened… Instead look for God’s purpose!
- “Before worrying about the SPECK in your brother’s eye, get the PLANK out of your own!” – Matt. 7:5
- “You’re gagging on a GNAT and swallowing a CAMEL!” – Matt. 23:24
- The work of God is MAJOR, our concerns are MINOR
Trust God’s Teaching Techniques
- Mud in the eyes is hard to understand
- God gave an Instruction – “Go” (Looking for obedience)
- Prov. 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy way acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.”
True Change can be seen by OTHERS
- A change of HEART must also bring a change of CONDUCT
- Matthew 7:20 “Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”
Debate over methods & motives always divides
- II Timothy 2:23 (NIV) “Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels, (24) and the Lords servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone…”
- James 3:18 “And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.”
Base what YOU KNOW on the Power of God’s Word– and your EXPERIENCE with it!
Vrs. 25 [I don’t know about your doctrinal concerns] but “One thing I know, I was blind and now I see!”
- YOUR faith is your ARMOR!
Look for a NEW THING – God is creative, doesn’t have to FIX IT, He can REPLACE IT!
- Isaiah 43:19 “I will do a NEW THING”
Faith to BELIEVE comes when your spiritual eyes & ears are open – when you’re teachable!
Vrs. 36 “Tell me so that I may believe on Him!”
- Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”
- (Message) “We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but GOD’s purpose prevails.”