Galatians 6:10 “As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”
Story of Zacchaeus – Luke 19:1-10
- Luke 19:10 “For the Son of man came to seek and to save what was lost.”
A Season of Opportunity
- Jesus was “passing through” (v.1)
- Isaiah 55:6 “Seek ye the LORD while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near.”
- Galatians 6:10 “As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”
Obstacles & Limitations
- (v.2) He wanted to see Jesus, but could not because he was short.
- Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- (v.7) Religious people in the crowd murmured, “He’s a sinner” (disqualified him)
Effort demonstrates Faith
- (v.4) He ran ahead… He climbed…
- Matthew 11:12 “…the kingdom of heaven suffers violence… the violent take it by force….”
- Hebrews 11:6 “He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”
God’s sense of Urgency
- (v.5) “Zacchaeus, come down immediately, I must stay at your house today.”
- John 4:35 (Don’t say four more months) “Behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.”
God’s love of Relationship
- (v.5) Jesus called him BY NAME
- (v.9) “This man, too, is a son of Abraham.”
- Isaiah 43:1 “Fear not for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name; you are mine.”
- John 10:3 He calls His sheep by name.
- Psalm 147:4 He calls every star by name.
God sees you for who you can become
- (v.8) “I’ll give half of my possessions to the poor. I’ll pay back 4X’s what I’ve stolen…”
- Zacchaeus (def.) – pure, innocent, righteous (parents originally named him)
- Jesus didn’t see crooked tax collector/thief… but the GENEROUS, giving man he could become.
Our Kingdom Assignment: Occupy
- (v.11) “While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable.”
- (v.13) “Occupy till I come.”
- Occupy – a military term, to seize and hold, to possess enemy territory for Kingdom of God
- Isaiah 9:2 “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.”