Times of Refreshing
- Acts 3:19 “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.”
- Converted – changed into a more useful commodity.
- Matthew 18:3 “Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. (4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”
- Humility – a modest or low view of one’s own importance; humbleness.
- S. Lewis – “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less.”
Through Faith Posturing (do something to please God)
- Matthew 23:12 “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”
- Matthew 15:25 (Canaanite woman) “Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.”
- Worship (Gr: Proskuneo) – to fall prostrate on the ground before the king and kiss his feet.
- Through Serving Others (take the focus off yourself)
- Jesus washed the disciple’s feet
- Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve…”
- Ephesians 6:1-3 (Children obey your parents)
- I Peter 5:5 “Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.”
Through Confession and Repentance (to God and others)
- Luke 18:10-14 (Pharisee & tax collector praying in temple)
- The one who humbled himself to confess his sin and ask for mercy was forgiven by God.
- James 5:16 “Confess yourfaults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.”
- Pay more attention to your own faults than to the flaws of others.
II Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”