Luke 8 – Jesus Teaches the Multitudes
(19) Now Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd.
(20) Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.”
The Relationship of Motherhood: The Word put into practice
Mothers Encourage You
- Frequently, spoken and written word, smiles, hugs, kisses
- Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
- Proverbs 15:30
Mothers Spend Time With You
- Talking and listening, laughing and crying, working and playing, dreaming
- Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- Ecclesiastes 3:4, Colossians 3:23-24, Proverbs 29:18
Mothers Believe In You
- Know who you are and who are you becoming; know and discover what you need to get there.
- Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.
- Jeremiah 29:11
- Psalm 139:1-6 Lord, you have examined me and know all about me. You know when I sit down and when I get up. You know my thoughts before I think them. You know where I go and where I lie down. You know everything I do. Lord, even before I say a word, You already know it. You are all around me – in front and in back – and have put Your hand on me. Your knowledge is amazing to me; it is more than I can understand.
Mothers Teach You By Example
- By what is said; what is done; and how it’s done.
- Proverbs 1:8-9 Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.
- Philippians 4:9, 1 Corinthians 11:1, Matthew 7:12
Mothers Clean Up Messes
- Both yours and those others have made around you.
- Psalm 51:7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I should be whiter than show.
- Psalm 51:10
- With wisdom, love and consistency
- Hebrews 12:11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
- Revelation 3:19
Mothers Celebrate Your Accomplishments
- Help you identify your “win” and know how to enjoy it.
- Psalm 126:2-3 Then our mouths were filled with laughter and our tongues with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things with them.” The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad.
- Philippians 4:8-9 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me – practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.