OFF ROAD (def.) – Away from a smooth road; on rough terrain. – Get off the man-made asphalt road of predictability and conformity and discover the unique adventure that God has for your life
Fastest Things in the World: Car (Hennessey GT – 270 mph), Train (Shanghai Maglev – 310 mph), Motorcycle (TomaHawk – 400 mph), Plane (X-43 – 7,545 mph), Bird (Spine Tailed Swift – 106 mph), Animal (Cheetah – 70 mph), Fish (Sailfish – 68 mph).
Fastest Man (Usain Bolt, Jamaican “Lightning Bolt” – 27.4 mph)
- II Samuel 2:18 “Now Asahel was as fleet-footed as a wild gazelle. (19) He chased Abner, turning neither to the right nor to the left as he pursued him. (23) But Asahel refused to give up the pursuit; so Abner thrust the butt of his spear into Asahel’s stomach, and the spear came out through his back. He fell there and died on the spot.”
- Asahel – over-confident, intoxicated with his own abilities and desire for fame
- Abner – older, more battle tested man-of-war
- Speed Kills!
How do you know when you are running too fast in Life?
- Stress (Life-driving over the speed limit, watching for cops) – fear
- Fatigue (Poor eating habits or lack of sleep) – tired all the time
- Excessive noise (easily irritated, argumentative) – engine screaming
- Missing Road Signs (appointments, birthdays, anniversaries) – peripheral a blur
- Unhappy all the time (demands consuming all free time)
Know Your Limits
- Car driving, Text messaging, Video game playing, Eating and drinking, Romance rushing, Decision making, Risk taking… Slow down… speed kills!
- Ecclesiastes 4:6 (NCV) “It is better to be content with what little you have. Otherwise, you will always be struggling for more, and that is like chasing the wind.”
- I Timothy 6:6 “But Godliness with contentment is great gain.”
- We buy things we don’t need, with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t even like.
- Ecclesiastes 5:3 (NLT) “Being too busy gives you nightmares.”
- Proverbs 19:2 (Message) “Ignorant zeal is worthless; haste makes waste.”
- If the devil can’t hinder our walk with God by making us sin, he’ll simply make us busy.
- Matthew 11:28 “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
- (Message) “Come to Me. Get away with Me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with Me and work with Me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.”
R – Recognize your true value before God.
E – Enjoy what you already have.
L – Limit your labor.
A – Adjust your values.
X – Xchange your pressure for God’s peace
Psalm 23:1 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Message) “I don’t need a thing” (2) He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul.”
- “The Lord is my pacesetter, I shall not rush. He makes me stop and rest at intervals. He provides me with images of stillness to restore my serenity. He leads me in the way of efficiency to calmness of mind and this guidance is peace. Even though I have a great many things to accomplish this day, I will not fret for His presence is here. His timeliness, His all importance will keep me in balance. He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity, anointing my head with the oils of tranquility. My cup of joyous energy overflows. Surely harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours, for I shall walk in the pace of my Lord and dwell in His heaven forever.”