OFF ROAD (def.) – Away from a smooth road; on rough terrain – Get off the man-made asphalt road of predictability and conformity and discover the unique adventure that God has for your life.
Winning the Race – Finishing Strong!
- I Corinthians 9:24 “Run in such a way that you may win.”
- The Finish Line – In Off Road Racing it’s often a jump… for dramatics.
- Where you Start is not as important as where you Finish
- Philippians 1:6 “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.”
- My Bible – Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
King Solomon Started Strong
- I Kings 4:29 “God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore.”
- Started with a humble heart
- He had a good father (King David)
- He had a good prayer life (Dedication of Temple)
- He constructed the Temple
- 3,000 Proverbs, 1,005 Songs
- He did great things for God
- Solomon had a lousy finish
- I Kings 11:4 “As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God. (9) The LORD became angry with Solomon because his heart had tuned a way from the LORD, the God of Israel.”
Apostle Paul Finished Strong – How did he do it?
- II Tim. 4:6 “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.
(7) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
1. Devotion – “This one thing I do” (single-minded devotion to God)
- Philippians 3:13 “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, (14) I press on toward the goal for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
2. Direction – “Forgetting what is behind”
3. Determination – “I press on toward the goal…”
- Dioko (Greek) – Pursue with vigor!
- II Corinthians 11:23-27 (MSG) – Note all the stuff that Paul had to “press on” through!
- Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.”
- II Timothy 2:5 “Also, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.”
- Hebrews 12:11 “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
- I Corinthians 9:25 “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. (26) Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. (27) No, I strike a blow to my body and bring it unto subjection…”
- Titus 2:11-12 (NIV) “For the grace of God that brings salvation…. teaches us to say “NO” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.”
- Hebrews 12:1-2 (NLT) “And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on who our faith depends from start to finish.”
- Revelation 22:12 (Jesus) “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.”