By Pastor Phil Derstine (4/26/20)
Danger & Opportunity – The hidden opportunity of Crisis
- “The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word ‘crisis.’ One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger – but recognize the opportunity.” John F. Kennedy
- I Samuel 17:55 “As Saul watched David going out to meet the Philistine, he said to Abner, commander of the army, Abner, whose son is that young man?” (The Giant crisis brought promotion to David)
- Daniel 3:29 “Therefore I decree that the people of any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be cut into pieces and their houses be turned into piles of rubble, for no other god can save in this way.” (The Furnace Crisis brought Salvation to the Nation)
- Daniel 6:26-28 “I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. For he is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end. He rescues and he saves; he performs signs and wonders in the heavens and on the earth. He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions.” (The Lion’s Den Crisis brought Salvation to the Nation)
- Acts 16:29-30 “The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul & Silas. He then brought them out and asked, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? (Prison Crisis brought Salvation to Jailer’s family)
What is a Crisis?
- An event over which one has no control, unexpected Change, an experience that you did not prepare for.
- A TEST – Times of Crisis usually reveal how well or how poorly we have managed our resources.
- Types of Crisis? Economic, Health, Relationships, Natural Forces, Spiritual
Who does Crisis Affect?
- Globalization – Interdependence of nations
- John 16:33 (NIV) “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Negative Results of Crisis?
- Fear, Trauma, Depression, Despair, Frustration, Anxiety, Loneliness, Worry, Hopelessness
- Sense of Loss, Abandonment, Sense of Death, Urgency for Survival, Abuse, Crime, Domestic Violence, Substance Abuse
Positive Results of Crisis?
- Faith, Spirituality, Action, Opportunity, Innovation, Creativity, Change, Diversification, Collaboration
- New Priorities, New Beginnings, New Attitudes, New Organization, New Motivation, New Leadership, New Expectations, More UNITY
We Need a Crisis
- A time of crisis is like an incubator for creativity!
- The Lord not only allows a crisis, He brings on the crisis!
- God knows that trials and problems will always work for our good.
- Crisis will make us grow spiritually, mentally, psychologically, and emotionally.
- Crisis will make us expand. It provides us with motivation to try something NEW.
Growth in Crisis
- Leaders get tested in crisis; they grow stronger.
- Crisis will reveal your true beliefs and convictions. (Do you really trust God?)
- God tests us for Promotion! (Abraham)
- Gen. 22:12 “Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from Me your son, your only son.”
What is Innovation?
- Capacity to create new approaches to deal with old and new challenges.
- Perceptivity to see possibilities in the combination of old and new concepts.
- Creation, development, and application of untested ways of solving old and new problems.
- Capacity to think beyond the known, to defy the norm, and to believe in one’s abilities to solve problems.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 “There is nothing new under the sun.”
- Everything that we call “New” is new grouping of old things. Innovation does not create new raw materials. All the raw materials are already created. Innovation recombines them in fresh ways.
- Innovation enables someone to see old things with new eyes and to combine them for new ways in new purposes.
What does Crisis Test?
- Your Foundation – Doing the Word!
- Matthew 7:24 “Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. (25) The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock
- Your Faith – Being Rich in Spiritual Things!
- Luke 12:15-21 (Parable of Rich Fool) “Then He said to them, Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (20) But God said to him, You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself? (21) This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
- Are just looking for a miracle
- Are expecting God to do it all
- Like Santa Claus or Genie in a bottle
- Without any effort on their part
- Have a daily relationship with the King
- Know how to use Keys to the Kingdom
- Are building a foundation to withstand the storm.
Matthew 16:19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
- Keys = Principles (to gain access, more than one key)
- Whatever you open on earth, Heaven will have to open for you.
- Mark 4:11 “Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables.”
- Psalm 91:7 “A thousand shall fall at thy side and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.”
- Kingdom Mentality, Kingdom Security, Kingdom Relationship
I John 5:4 “For whatever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (5) Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?”