John 11:1-44 Story of Lazarus – 7 Principles of Faith
God often allows our situation to go from bad to worse because He’s planning to do something powerful and wonderful; He has a purpose that will bring even greater glory to Him.
1. It’s not dead until God says it’s dead
- John 11:4 “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.”
- John 11: 44 (NIV) “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”
- Mark 9:23 “Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”
2. Growth in God requires a dying of self
- Germination – the process in which a plant emerges from a seed and begins growth. Some live seeds are dormant and need more time or be subjected to specific environmental conditions before they will germinate.
- John 12:24 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.” (25) He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.”
- Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”John 4:30 “He must increase, but I must decrease.”
3. God Tests you to TEACH you
- John 11:14 (NIV) “So then he told them plainly, Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”
- John 6:5-6 “When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, ‘Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?’ (6) He asked this only to test him, for He already had in mind what He was going to do.”
4. Resurrection power gets rid of the SMELL of death
- John 11:39 (NIV) “Take away the stone, he said. But Lord, said Martha, the sister of the dead man, but this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”
- Daniel 3:27 (NIV) “They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.
5. Resurrection power brings promotion
- John 12:17 (NIV) “Now the crowd that was with him when he called Lazarus from the tomb and raised him from the dead continued to spread the word. (18) Many people, because they had heard that He had given this miraculous sign, went out to meet Him.”
- Daniel 3:30 “Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, in the province of Babylon.”
6. Right attitude toward the test is an act of worship
- Genesis 22:1 (NIV) “Some time later God tested Abraham. (5) He said to his servants, Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you.”
7. Expect a Miracle!
- Genesis 22:13 “And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering instead of his son.”