Life is a risk (unpredictable) – Ecclesiastes 11:1-10
- Authored by Solomon – the wisest and richest man on earth, searching for satisfaction.
- Everything under the sun is vanity, meaningless, and unpredictable.
- Matthew 5:45 “For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”
- Carpe Diem (Latin) – Horace 23 BC “Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- Without God, Life is meaningless and without purpose.
How to Seize the Day – Lay hold on it, own it, do something with it!
1. Risk Living Generously
- Ecclesiastes 11:1-2 “Cast your bread on the waters…. Give portions to seven, yes to eight…”
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave…”
- World says: “Get all you can, can all you get, and sit on the can, so no one else can.”
- Ecclesiastes 11:3 – Stop worrying about things you cannot change
- Galatians 6:7 “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”
- Ecclesiastes 11:6 “Sow your seed… for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that…”
- Luke 6:38 “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye give, it shall be given to you again.”
2. Risk Living Courageously
- Ecclesiastes 11:4 – Be a “doer” not a “watcher.”
- Proverbs 28:1 “The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.”
- Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- Life is a risk – Don’t be reckless, but be educated, calculated, be prayed up.
- John 16:33 “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
- Live with a Seize the Day attitude
3. Risk Living Accountably
- Ecclesiastes 11:9 – Be happy (keep loving and forgiving)… and let God be the judge.
- Philippians 4:6 (NLT) “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. (7) Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
- Ephesians 5:15 (NIV) “Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, (16) making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (17) Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. (18) Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”
- Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (10) I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”
- II Chronicles 16:9 “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.”
- Romans 13:11-14 (Message) “Get out of bed and get dressed… Dress yourselves in Christ and be up and about!”