Malachi 4:5 “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.
(6) And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.”
- Matthew 11:13 “For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. (14) And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.”
Forerunner Spirit – to prepare the Way of the Lord
- Luke 1:17 (John the Baptist’s birth announced) “And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous – to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
- John 1:23 “I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.”
Praying Spirit – Elijah was a praying man
- James 5:17 “Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it might not rain…”
- I Kings 17 – Elijah heard the Word of the Lord.
- II Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray…”
Confrontational Spirit (to the status quo)
- I Kings 18:21 “How long will you waver between two opinions?”
- Matthew 11:12 “From the days of John the Baptist until now the Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.”
- Increased spiritual intensity brings increased warfare!
- I Samuel 17:29 (David) “Is there not a cause?”
- Acts 4:13 “When they saw the boldness of Peter and John, they knew they had been with Jesus.”
Passionately Relational Spirit
- I Kings 18:37 (Elijah’s Prayer) “Answer me, O LORD, so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.”
- John 3:29 – John the Baptist found joy in the wilderness by knowing the voice of the bridegroom (Jesus).
II Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”