SUPER BOWL FANATICS
By Pastor Phil Derstine (2/2/20)
The world values your PASSION for anything! – get on-fire for God!
- Quarterback, Tim Tebow kneeling in prayer – “Tebowing” went viral.
- John 6:63 “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto, they are spirit, and they are life.”
- John Wesley – “Light yourself on fire with passion and people will come from miles to watch you burn.”
- Sports Fan (n) – An enthusiastic devotee or follower.
- Fanatic (n) – One who is unreasonably enthusiastic, overly zealous, going beyond what is reasonable.
- Tail Gate Party – A social event held around the open tail gate of a vehicle, usually occurring in the parking lots of stadiums before the game.
FIVE CHARACTERISTICS – that sports fans have, and Christians should have
- They Stand out – don’t conform (hats, shirts, chants, fearless, not shy)
- Romans 12:2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
- Acts 1:8 “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me…” (don’t be shy about your witness for Christ)
- They are Spenders – They Invest (travel to attend games, tickets, airfare, hotel)
- II Corinthians 8:7 (NIV) “But just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us – see that you also excel in this grace of giving.”
- Show me how you spend your money and I’ll tell you what you VALUE!
- Giving is a test of our love
- They are Tireless – Persistent (wait in lines, stay up late, up early)
- Luke 11:8 “I say unto you, though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity, he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.”
- Importunity – Unreasonable persistence!
- Luke 11:9 “I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
- They are Loyal – Don’t Switch! (die-hard loyal, win or loose)
- John 6:66 “From that time many of His disciples went back and walked no more with Him. (67) Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? (68) Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. (69) And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.”
- They are Passionate – Boldness (Never stop believing, never give up, down last seconds of the game)
- Acts 4:13 “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled, and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
- Nehemiah 8:10 “…for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
- Proverbs 17:22 “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine…”
Phil. 3:14 “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Psalm 98:4 “Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth; make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.”