Grilling in the backyard is a “daddy duty” in most homes.
But Fathers have other important duties.
- I Corinthians 4:15 “For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. (16) Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me (imitate me).”
4 Daddy Duties (ways that Dad expresses love – 4 Words start with “P”)
Providing for his family (financial and emotional support)
- I Timothy 5:8 “If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
- Proverbs 13:22 “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children…”
Protection for his family (security for home, marriage, and family)
- I Peter 3:7 “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”
- I Timothy 3:12 “A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well.”
Playing with his family (life isn’t all serious)
- Proverbs 17:22 “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine…”
- Proverbs 15:13 “A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance…”
- Colossians 3:21 “Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.”
- Ephesians 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
Priestly Covering for his family (not preach but prayer)
- Ephesians 5:22 “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. (23) For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body. (25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.”
1 Praise the Lord.
Blessed are those who fear the Lord,
who find great delight in his commands.
2 Their children will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches are in their houses,
and their righteousness endures forever.
4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
5 Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
who conduct their affairs with justice.
6 Surely the righteous will never be shaken;
they will be remembered forever.
7 They will have no fear of bad news;
their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
8 Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear;
in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.
9 They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor,
their righteousness endures forever;
their horn[c] will be lifted high in honor.
10 The wicked will see and be vexed,
they will gnash their teeth and waste away;
the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.